Friday, May 29, 2009

Macchiato


I´ve neglected this my english thinking, as it looks, but the truth is I actually read a lot, Ian McEwan is an author I´ve recently discovered ... and I´m a lot on twitter, and that´s not an easy task language wise I can tell you that. People use all kinds of abbrevations and everyday words that I´ve never heard of. It´s an interesting source though, to find out about things and people, learn how they react on newsflashs and so on, and there´s a certain charm in being one of the first persons to know ...

Well today I learned something new in real life ... a had a new kind of coffee-drink, the Espresso Macchiato. I´m so glad I don´t have to say it out loud here because I´ve no idea how, I think though I´ve got the right spelling. It was good by the way, I really enjoyed it, strong, bitter and a little foamed milk on the top. The cup I had wasn´t as good looking as the one on the pic, but it was certainly the proper thing to consume at the moment, in the shade by a big linden tree just next to the students home by the university ... and it was Friday at lunchtime, in the opening of the last weekend in the month of May.

3 comments:

  1. you pronounce it mah-kee-ah-toe (toe, like the thing on your foot)
    well, at least that's how they say it here. ;) I believe the stress is on "ah." It also seems (as I say it to myself over and over again) that there is a small stress on "mah."

    My first espresso drink ever was a caramel macchiatto :)

    I have found I like iced drinks better though. I can taste the nuances of all the flavors better if it is iced. I generally order an iced caramel mocha. You should try one. :) It's basically espresso, chocolate, and caramel, with whatever milk you order (I get soy milk). Yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having coffee at a shop i quite expensive around here, therefore I don´t have it that often, but it´s nice ... so it happens. The lady I bought it from did not pronounce it the way you apparently do, confusing, I´ll have to ask an italian maybe ... ;-), if it´s really that important.

    Me too, I´ve started to enjoy iced drinks, I never thought I would, but iced coffee i so good on a hot summer day and you feel a bit slow and tired. I never heard of caramel flavour, I will try that, I guess Wayne´s will serve it, they have the best coffee and tea selection in this town. I repeat: "Yummy!" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are expensive here too. It's a bad habit to get into. I used to drink them rarely, then I got up to drinking 3 a day! Eek! I'm back down to about 4 or 5 per week now. You can also try it blended instead of iced. Those can be quite yummy as well on hot days. :)

    ReplyDelete