Sunday, February 15, 2009

short stories

A while ago I wrote an American blog-friend of mine, for some reading ideas in English. As my skills in English aren´t as genuin as those of a native Englishman or American, she had to recommend me something not too complicated but still advanced enough to catch my interest. She actually gave me a good list of titles to go from, but unfortunately only some of them where available here i Norrköping.

The funny thing is, while going through the bookcases at the library I found an English author named Jeanette Winterson, she wrote a book Lighthousekeeping which I enjoyed very much, as a fact I will, in return, recommend it to my American blog-friend, I have a mysterious feeling she will like it.

The story is about life and the stories of life. It deals with movements in within humans, dependent on movement in God´s creation, kind of, telling about a priest loosing his belief in both himself and God when he finds out creation is still going on and will go on forever, and that we may have to deal with a maverick God, as he sees it, who created earth just for fun. There is no stable point to lean on anywhere. One has to find a belief inside oneself to gain strength and self confidence, thus getting tools and ability to deal with life. There is a lot of sea, a lot of light and a lot of darkness in this book, a blind lighthouskeeper and some really sad stories.

Quotation from the book:
"You don´t need to know everything. There is no everything. The stories themselves make the meaning. The continuous narrative of existence is a lie. There are no continuous narrative, there are lit-up moments, and the rest is in dark."

(For your knowledge miss L, I´ve got Drown by Junot Diaz in my hand and Ender´s game by Card, I will open them this week. I´m still not sure about my wiew concerning Sue Monk Kidd, I´ll get back to you on that. I read the Mermaid´s Chair, but ... well...I don´t know :-S.)

1 comment:

  1. I will have to see if I can find that Lighthouse book. And, I should probably read Ender's Game myself (I never got around to it). ;)

    ReplyDelete