Thursday, January 29, 2009

come on, you cheeselovers

Two issues bothering me lately... American snacks and stand up comedy ;-) ...so, here´s now a cry out for advice and help, or points of view actually, from my american blogreaders, if there are any.

First out: Dane Cook, is he a funny guy or ... ? I watched some YouTube clips and tried to get the hang of it, that is his jokes, well, had some hard time finding them... he puked and stood upsidedown and he walked to and forth on stage. Oh, I liked the one when he ordered a burger that didn´t exist, nice try, and the man who tried not to care about the fact that he was run over by a car, just strolled along and pretended nothing had happened, ´cause it was so embarrasing, or what? In other words, my question is: Is he popular, is he funny? Is this good comedy according to the American view.

Number two: How do you put cheese on to popcorn? I watched an American TVseries, and they made popcorn and sort of sprinkled cheese over them. Over here cheese comes in one piece, the size you could decide yourself mostly, at the time of the purchase, only today I bought a very small piece of a very Swedish quality that was very ripe and quite expensive, therefore the very tiny piece, (that was a less important episode), but the thing is you have to use a cheese slicer or a knife to cut parts of it ... and then place them on your sandwich. There is also a possibility to use a grater of course, but even then the small parts will be far too big to sprinkle on popcorn. ??
Help...? Is there a special kind of cheese existing that I don´t know of?


On my Swedish blog I have a post discussing what´s art and what isn´t. A girl studying at the art school placed herself on a high bridge threatened to kill herself, jump. She was taken in care by the police and driven to the psyciatric care, and was forced to stay, was given sedatives, also by force, and bound. Later she informed the whole act was part of an artwork. Is this art, I wonder? I will probably have a reason to come back to this later.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, there are all sorts of bizarre cheeses. Usually, cheese on popcorn is powdered cheese. I'm not honestly sure where to procure such cheese, but if you buy flavored popcorn (the cheesey kind) it is powdered stuff. Do you have any boxed pastas with sauce packets (like "Macaroni and Cheese")? It would be like that. You probably don't have that though. I think it is a very American (i.e. lazy) food. But it is oh-so-convenient. It doesn't taste nearly as good as real cheese, but when you're in a hurry, or you can't get to the store to get fresh cheese, you have powdered cheese. I think they dehydrate it. But I don't know how.

    I couldn't tell you about Dane Cook. I will have to watch one of the YouTube videos. I have heard about him being funny, but I am picky about my comedians, usually.

    There are many, many comedians out there with various types of humor, so don't worry, not all American humor is like Dane Cook. :) Maybe try Whoopi Goldberg. I have no idea what her standup is like, but she's pretty funny in movies. Or try Robin Williams (sometimes he seems like he is on crack, so beware). One of my friends really likes Mitch Hedberg. *shrug*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put together some random cheese info for you on my blog (the transient fixations one). I think some of the stuff is very American. You may not find it anywhere in Europe. But I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got it! There is cheese in the world ;-).

    I don´t know about comedians either, it´s not easy to find someone you really like. I read about Dane Cook on another Swedish blog, and learned his funny things were gone, or he didn´t have any.

    I´ve also noticed it seems you laugh at different things in different countries, Swedish comedians go for politics, makes fun of politicians and so on, Americans seem to laugh a lot at jokes about sex, :-S, and about noices coming from your body :-) and vomiting and such ... well, maybe Sweds do that too :-)...but not as much!

    Thank you, fantastic comments!

    ReplyDelete